29 Debates About the "Right Way" to Blog

ProBlogger collected 29 Debates Bloggers Have about Blogging. Some of my responses are listed below, see ProBlogger's site for the complete list. Please share your thoughts in the comments.

RSS Feeds - Full vs Partial Feeds
- My opinion: Full feed.

Comment Sections – Comments vs No Comments
- Comments always open.

Post Frequency – Post More vs Post Less
- Short posts daily.

How Many Blogs? – Focus upon One Single Blog vs Having Many Smaller Blogs.
- I have 3-4 blogs.

Domain Names – long vs short, hyphens vs non hypens, .com vs other extensions (like .net, .org), local vs global domain extensions
- Short names, free domain names by Blogger.com.

Hosting – hosted vs self hosted
- Hosted by Blogger.com.

Post Titles – descriptive vs keywords
- I use natural language post titles - descriptive.

Content – Link content vs Original content
- Mostly links and comments, I wish I had more time to write long-form original content.

Design – Professional Design vs Templates
- I modify the templates to create my "own" designs. It's quite enjoyable actually.

Ownership – Use Social Media vs Build Your own properties
- I think your blog should be your "home" on the web.

Post Length – Long in Depth Posts vs Short, Sharp Posts
- Again, I wish I had the time to write long posts but I don't.

Topic – Niche vs Broad Topics
- Niche topic blogs work better.

Blogger Name – Anonymous blogging vs Using Your Name
- Using your name is a much better approach for medical bloggers.

Subscribers – RSS is Best vs Email is Best
- I like RSS better.

SEO – Writing for Search Engines vs Writing for Humans
- I write for humans only.

Personal Blogging – Sticking to Topic vs Injecting Personality and Personal details
- I try to write objectively from a scientific perspective. Personal stories are probably better suited for a paper diary.

Comment Moderation – Highly Regulated and Moderated vs Anything Goes
- I moderate all comments and delete all self-promotional and possibly offensive material.

Social Media vs Search – focus upon social media rather than search engines as traffic sources
- If you write quality content, Google will find you.

LinkBait – Anything goes (e.g.. Personal Attacks) vs Strong Boundaries Around What is and Isn’t Acceptable
- I don't use link baits and I have never posted anything even close to a personal attack on my blogs.

Bloggers Participation in Comments – Respond to Every Single Comment vs Let Readers Talk to Each Other and Don’t Interact
- I don't feel compelled to respond to every single comment. Let readers interact.


This Google video shows that it takes about 2 minutes to start a blog on Blogger.com. Creating a web site has never been easier.

References:
29 Debates Bloggers Have about Blogging. ProBlogger, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment